Thread - Tournaments.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Jump to:
#1 - 5 Feb 2008

Posted By:
hotdog

Tournaments.

Hi stoney,

will it be possible to arrange the tournaments according to ratings. so evryone has a fair chance. eg.

1300 and below tourney               1300 and above tourney
1500 and below tourney               1500 and above tourney
1700 and below tourney               1700 and above tourney
1900 and below tourney               1900 and above tourney
2100 and below tourney               2100 and above tourney

and so on. not every tournament ofcourse but just on the occasion so players have an equal chance of progress to the next round.

regards HD
#1 - 5 Feb 2008

Posted By:
hotdog

Tournaments.

Hi stoney,

will it be possible to arrange the tournaments according to ratings. so evryone has a fair chance. eg.

and so on. not every tournament ofcourse but just on the occasion so players have an equal chance to progress to the next round.

regards HD

[Edited : 3 Jun 2010]
#1 - 5 Feb 2008

Posted By:
hotdog

Tournaments.

Hi stoney,

will it be possible to arrange the tournaments according to ratings. so everyone has a fair chance. eg.

and so on. not every tournament ofcourse but just on the occasion so players have an equal chance to progress to the next round.

regards HD

[Edited : 3 Jun 2010]
#2 - 1 Mar 2008

Posted By:
woodpusher

Bracketed tournaments

I agree with hotdog that some divisions in some tournaments would make for more interesting competitions.  You might allow anyone to enter the upper bracket (open), for those who want to take on the challenge.

With the numbers on the site now, too many brackets aren't required, nor would they be beneficial.

My suggestions would be:
1. Recreational division  Under 1300
2. Intermediate division  Under 1600
3. Open division  Any rating, but perhaps limited to players with permanent ratings, no provisionals.  In addition, you might have an occasional "Championship Division Tournament" open only to the top 24 rated players, perhaps twice a year.

I will say that I"ve been surprised at some of the tournament results.  There have been a number of upsets and wins by lower rated players.

Overall the tournaments are fun, but personally, I'd rather have a dozen quality games than three or four dozen miniatures.

Any thought to having some thematics?  The league format would be good for that.  Set up a starting position, and all players would have to play both Black and White, against each opponent.  This is a great way to study an opening, from both sides.

Regards,
WP  
#2 - 1 Mar 2008

Posted By:
woodpusher

Bracketed tournaments

I agree with hotdog that some divisions in some tournaments would make for more interesting competitions.  You might allow anyone to enter the upper bracket (open), for those who want to take on the challenge.

With the numbers on the site now, too many brackets aren't required, nor would they be beneficial.  It might be a good idea to require some number of completed games for tournament entry.  That might eliminate some of the abandoned games.

My suggestions would be:
3. Open division  Any rating, but perhaps limited to players with permanent ratings, no provisionals.  
4. In addition, you might have an occasional "Championship Division Tournament" open only to the top 24 rated players, perhaps twice a year.

I will say that I"ve been surprised at some of the tournament results.  There have been a number of upsets and wins by lower rated players.

Overall the tournaments are fun, but personally, I'd rather have a dozen quality games than three or four dozen miniatures.

Any thought to having some thematics?  The league format would be good for that.  Set up a starting position, and all players would have to play both Black and White, against each opponent.  This is a great way to study an opening, from both sides.

Regards,
WP  

[Edited : 1 Mar 2008]
#2 - 1 Mar 2008

Posted By:
woodpusher

Bracketed tournaments

With the numbers on the site now, too many brackets aren't required, nor would they be beneficial.  It might be a good idea to require some number of completed games for tournament entry.  That might eliminate some of the abandoned games.

My suggestions would be:
3. Open division  Any rating, but perhaps limited to players with permanent ratings, no provisionals.  
4. In addition, you might have an occasional "Championship Division Tournament" open only to the top 24 rated players, perhaps twice a year.

I will say that I've been surprised at some of the tournament results.  There have been a number of upsets and wins by lower rated players.

Regards,
WP  

[Edited : 2 Mar 2008]
#3 - 2 Mar 2008

Posted By:
woodpusher

A Bit More Housekeeping for Stoney X

I think I've stumbled onto another small glitch.  Upon reaching My Tournaments page, if there is a page 2, and you click on it, you are directed to the All Tournaments page not page 2 of My Tournaments.

As near as I can tell there isn't any way to reach past page one in My Tournaments.

Will there be any more game 14 day tournaments, no move time out?  That's a neat time format, requiring frequent logons and time management, especially in the early stages.

WP
#5 - 3 Mar 2008

Posted By:
Stoney X

woodpusher, I will have a look at that issue. should be a relatively simple fix.
#6 - 4 Mar 2008

Posted By:
Stoney X

woodpusher, the paging problem on the "my tounraments" page should be resolved.

If you have noticed that there haven't been many changes to the site over the last few months, that is because I've been focused on a site rewrite. Chess On The Web 2.0 is on the horizon. The main reason for the rewrite is to allow future changes to the site to be made easier.

Regards
#7 - 5 Mar 2008

Posted By:
woodpusher

Thanks for the fix

That was quick.  Can't wait to see the new, improved version 2.0.  Any consideration of bracketing tournaments per hotdog's and my suggestions?

When I looked at page 2, I see that just finishing the tournaments I'm in now may take the next 18 months.  :-)

Also, the no move limit, 14 day game format is an interesting one, at least for those who log on multiple times a day and like to play quickly.  

Regards,
WP

Regards,
WP
#7 - 5 Mar 2008

Posted By:
woodpusher

Thanks for the fix

That was quick.  Can't wait to see the new, improved version 2.0.  Any consideration of bracketing tournaments per hotdog's and my suggestions?

When I looked at page 2, I see that just finishing the tournaments I'm in now may take the next 18 months.  :-)

Also, the no move limit, 14 day game format is an interesting one, at least for those who log on multiple times a day and like to play quickly.  

Regards,
WP

[Edited : 5 Mar 2008]
#8 - 19 Mar 2008

Posted By:
chinos

Head to Head

Stoney, how about  giving an option of filtering games against a particular player?
#9 - 19 Mar 2008

Posted By:
Stoney X

chinos,

The ability to sort and filter games will be added at some point. As mentioned previously the site is going through a re-write at the moment. Once that is done adding and improving functionality will be quicker and (most importantly for me) easier.

Regards
#11 - 22 Mar 2008

Posted By:
woodpusher

Any Consideration of bracketting tournaments?

It would give some more people a chance to win a tournament, and for many to be "in the hunt".

You may have already answered this as something to be done after the upgrade to the site software.  Don't mean to be a pest.

Regards,
WP
#12 - 23 Mar 2008

Posted By:
Stoney X

bracketing of tournamnets is something that will be done after the upgrade.

Regards
Page: 1 | 2 | 3