Register

Thread - Chess Rating question

Page: 1
Jump to:
#1 - 27 May 2008

Posted By:
bj

Chess Rating on game winnings and draw games & others

just inquiry about chess rating.Why if game is draw.Still there is deduction to my rating.Is this correct? Sorry to bother you about this coz I don't know anything about ratings.Please let me know and even sometimes my rating goes down even not ending any games.Cant you tell me about this?thanks and more power. Can I suggest, if you could post how much increase in ratings after winning or decrease after losing.Is is possible that way?
#2 - 27 May 2008

Posted By:
hotdog

ratings

ofcourse if you are playing a lower rated played and draw your rating is going to go down. because that player has done very well to get the draw therefore its only normal that that players rating goes up. I personally have never seen ratings go down for nothing at all unless admin decides to deduct points for whatever reason. But the obvious awnser is if you play lower rated player and lose you will lose more points as if you lose to higher rated player you wont lose as much depending on rating. e.g

woodpusher 2200 and Bj 1550 roughly.

if woodpusher was to win he would only get 0.2 which is really pointless for him but if Bj wins you would get around 30 point score.

Regards
#3 - 27 May 2008

Posted By:
Stoney X

The rating calculations are based on the ELO rating system. This is a complex calculation that takes into account your current rating, opponents rating and game result when calculating your new rating.

Here's a few examples:-
If a player wins against another player of equal rating, then the winners rating increases by 16 and the losers decreases by 16.
If you beat a player that is rated higher than you then your rating increases by more than 16. Similarly if you lose to a player ranked lower than you your rating decreases by more than 16.
If you draw against an opponent that is rated higher, your rating increases by a small amount as the higher rated player should have won.

To add even more complexity to the equation, players that are new to the site, i.e. less than 9 completed games, effect the calculation differently. The new player's rating moves by larger margins in the first few games and the player's opponent move by smaller margins. So a 1200 rated new player beating a 1600 rated established player will result in someting like 1232 to the new player and 1592 to the established one.

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system for more details.

Regards
#3 - 27 May 2008

Posted By:
Stoney X

The rating calculations are based on the ELO rating system. This is a complex calculation that takes into account your current rating, opponents rating and game result when calculating your new rating.

Here's a few examples:-
If a player wins against another player of equal rating, then the winners rating increases by 16 and the losers decreases by 16.
If you beat a player that is rated higher than you then your rating increases by more than 16. Similarly if you lose to a player ranked lower than you your rating decreases by more than 16.
If you draw against an opponent that is rated higher, your rating increases by a small amount as the higher rated player should have won.

To add even more complexity to the equation, players that are new to the site, i.e. less than 9 completed games, effect the calculation differently. The new player's rating moves by larger margins in the first few games and the player's opponent move by smaller margins. So a 1200 rated new player beating a 1600 rated established player will result in someting like 1232 to the new player and 1592 to the established one.

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system for more details.

Regards

Note on hotdog's comment: The site admin has not adjusted ratings at any point. Every game played on the site has been rated.

[Edited : 27 May 2008]
#4 - 27 May 2008

Posted By:
hotdog

ratings

i sed unless they decide stoney not they have.
regards
#5 - 28 May 2008

Posted By:
bj

Ok thanks for the information.Regards to all players and enjoy the  game.
#5 - 28 May 2008

Posted By:
bj

Thanks you Stoney X and Hotdog for the information. Regards to all players and enjoy the  game.

[Edited : 28 May 2008]
#6 - 16 Jun 2008

Posted By:
woodpusher

Ratings are based on game results

BJ, your rating should change only when you've completed games.

There is a risk vs reward relationship.   Anyone can win most of their games if they play others 500 rating points lower.  Therefore the reward for winning such games is small.  The risk for losing or drawing them on the other hand is great.

The fastest way to improve your rating is to play the highest rated players you can, provided that you win.  Realistically, it's best to challenge people a hundred less rating points above you.

Most higher rated players will not accept challenges with too great a margin, especially when the player in question hasn't reached his true level, that is his rating is climbing rapidly.

Regards,
WP
#7 - 28 Jun 2008

Posted By:
fritz

Reply to Mr. Woodpusher

Thank you also mr woodpusher for the information.Now I know realized as I go on playing games. I wish we could me meet in our tournament.Thank you.Best Regard to you my friend see u then.bye
#7 - 28 Jun 2008

Posted By:
fritz

Mr. Woodpusher

I am also new here.Now I knew about this.Thank Bj,hotdog,woodpusher and Stoney X for the information.Good luck to every chess players

[Edited : 30 Jun 2008]
#8 - 23 Jul 2008

Posted By:
bj

Re:Chessontheweb.com using proxy server

Dear Stoney X, before I am accessing your website using our regular internet server at our office but suddenly our IT manager blocked your website. I have no other choice than to use PROXY SERVER to avoid detection which I can access your website.But the problem is? I CANNOT VIEW THE CHESSBOARD on your website? Can I seek your kind assistance Stoney X or a small favor to fix my problem? Internet shop is very far from our home & office. I am hoping for a favorable reponse from you. Thank you and Best Regards.
#9 - 24 Jul 2008

Posted By:
Stoney X

bj, I'll contact you via messages.
#10 - 26 Nov 2008

Posted By:
KEIRW

Rating question

How do chessontheweb ratings compare to ELO ratings? Are there any players out there who have an ELO rating? Is it much higher or lower than chessontheweb rating? I am interested in how I would rate in the outside world!
#11 - 9 Feb 2009

Posted By:
woodpusher

Relativity of rating, online, ELO, other sites, etc.

I'm pretty certain that they are calculated in much the same manner.  That is the only thing they have in common.

First, this is correspondence chess, so it can't be compared to any over the board rating.  That would be somewhat like comparing a batting average in slow pitch softball to a major league baseball batting average.

Second, ratings are somewhat skewed by the universe of the player involved.  That is why FIDE or USCF ratings are not used to grant titles, only tournament play results against titled players.   Big fish grow faster in a larger pond.
Page: 1