Register

Thread - Something not found in the books

Page: 1
Jump to:
#1 - 11 Oct 2009

Posted By:
lancelot

Something not found in the books

The “peasant (ignorant) class of the chess  world” believes that a player, in front of the board and awaiting for the opponent to make his move, can foresee the set up of the pieces so many moves (8, 10. . .?) ahead, whether the opponent plays this or that piece. .

That is what marvels non-chess-player people.  And, I guess, somehow disappoints newcomers or low rated players who want to improve their game.

--What do you think you should be able to foresee?
--What many moves do GM foresee?
--Idem medium players?
-- and you?

It disappoints me (and many I think) when you read a book on chess and the moves are commented with notes like . . .”better BxN for. . .if. . .then. . .or . . . as did Mr X in London. . . if. . .then. . . followed by. . . indicating as many as 10 moves..

I have not found anything written about this point, that might help or animate or enliven the normal player, except, perhaps, for Capablanca who said “Do not worry about making combinations. . . they will appear by themselves provided you have made a somehow decent aperture”

At least that is a chivalrous consolation.
#2 - 12 Oct 2009

Posted By:
woodpusher

Calculation skills..........

are greatly enhanced, in correspondence chess, provided the player takes the time and uses it well.

Sometimes it is more important to be able to evaluate the position, as to which side is better and why, see how the imbalances in the position favor one player, than to attempt calculation of specific lines.  Leave that for the annotators.  

Tactics most often involve how much force can be brought into action without any delay, and how many defensive resources can be deployed in the same time frame (number of moves).

What Capa was saying was to trust your judgment.   Other than mate in five to ten, there are usually alternatives which you can't possibly calculate, so play to improve your position, and the combinations will appear.

#3 - 13 Oct 2009

Posted By:
FIDE RATED

What capablanca said..........

What WP Said is absolutely correct.........
Correspondence can definitely improve our games if we think and take our time to play each move...........
I agree with Capablanca's words ........
He also said that combinations will appear only if you put the correct pieces on the correct squares(this is true for pawns also!!!!!!!)...............
Page: 1