Register

Thread - The boring 1.e4

Page: 1
Jump to:
#1 - 3 Apr 2012

Posted By:
Queenspawn

The boring 1.e4

Does anyone else agree with me that the opening move 1.e4 is boring?I find that opening intensely dull.I once took part in a double round robin competition where I was playing against several other players,and every single one of them opened 1.e4 and I almost died of boredom.If you are one of those players who opens 1.e4 in every single game that you play with white then STOP! Play something interesting like the perfectly solid 1.d4 or the equally good 1.c4.The good thing about both 1.d4 and 1.c4 is that they can transpose into one of my favourite openings and one of the most popular openings in chess-the Queen's Gambit.Many top players including Garry Kasparov, Anatoly Karpov and Bobby Fischer have played 1.c4 in their careers,so it is a solid opening.1.d4 in also very strong because the centre pawn that is opened is defended after the first move,unlike the centre pawn opened with 1.e4.I am not saying that you should never play 1.e4 or that you shouldn't play it most of the time,all I am saying is that it is an exceptionally dull opening and if you play nothing but 1.e4 then you are exceptionally dull.

[Edited : 3 Apr 2012]
#2 - 3 Apr 2012

Posted By:
redketchuplover

Can't black liven things up?
#3 - 4 Apr 2012

Posted By:
Late Bloomer

hmm

Well, I don't think there is nothing boring in
1. e4 c5
or
1. e4 d6
or
1.e4 e5
2.f4

=)
#4 - 9 Apr 2012

Posted By:
Queenspawn

I never said that there was anything boring in the Sicilian defence,the Pirc defence or the King's gambit,which are the 3 openings that you refer to.All I said was that the opening move 1.e4 was boring,not that black's responses to 1.e4 were boring.
#5 - 10 Apr 2012

Posted By:
Butcher

e4 is the best opening there is

I really do not understand this discussion. I would say that 1d4 and 1c4 are boring. As stated, the are rock solid, but to my opinion very boring. WIld games are most often starting with 1. e4 !!
Fisher played it in his best years and only in his match against Spassky he started 1. c4. Well, we all know what happend with Fischer after he changed to 1. c4!!
#6 - 10 Apr 2012

Posted By:
Late Bloomer

Matter of taste

Well, I think if everybody would always play 1.d4!!
you would get bored as well sooner or later ;-)
Even if Queen's Gambit is your favorite opening.

I like some Queen's Gambit lines as well, but some of Queen's Gambit games end up being a bit dull, IMHO.
#7 - 10 Apr 2012

Posted By:
Rorarama

Dear Queenspawn

Telling chess players, young or old, to "stop playing" 1.e4, is a borderline violation of statutory human rights.
(humour me people!)

On a serious note, yes most players will be more solid than adventurous. But if you find their efforts "boring", then I suggest you play someone else, or go and play draughts...

[Edited : 23 Apr 2012]
Page: 1