Register

Thread - Vacations

Page: 1
Jump to:
#1 - 28 Jul 2011

Posted By:
Stoney X

Vacations

We've been running through the various options to cater for vacations. This is how we see this function working.

* You will able to set the vacation flag on your player details page.

* While the vacation flag is set the timers (game and move) on all your games will stop.

* While the vacation flag is set you will be unable to apply any actions to your games, for example, moving, deleting or resigning.

* Other players will not be able to claim timeouts against you while the flag is set. The same applies to automated timeouts.

* During each calendar year, starting on the anniversary of joining the site,  you will be allowed 3 vacations, totalling 6 weeks.

* Each vacation may only last a maximum of 3 weeks. (This is still under debate as some feel 4 weeks is better.)

* Vacation days will not carry over from one year to the next.

Please feel free to post your comments on these guidelines.

Regards
#2 - 29 Jul 2011

Posted By:
lahmi

I go on Vacation with my Ipad and I wont need to use this flag... Nice initiative though...
#3 - 29 Jul 2011

Posted By:
SkyLight

Hi,

I fully agree with this function. When is this function valid from?

SkyLight.
#4 - 29 Jul 2011

Posted By:
daddyrat

I'd like to have a function like this. I had to forfeit at least 3 tournaments in the last year due to work commitments or holidays with no internet available. so yes for me please
#5 - 29 Jul 2011

Posted By:
MARTIN.HEALEY

martin.healey

This is great.  But far more important is to replace the "send message" and "Challenge to a game" in the players page, missing since the recent update.  Don't go back 2 steps for 1 forward!
#6 - 30 Jul 2011

Posted By:
chesswarrior

Agreed with Martin

I agree with Martin. And yes, the vacation flag functionality looks ok to me. Please go ahead and implement it.

Thanks!
#7 - 31 Jul 2011

Posted By:
indianmaster

brilliant idea

Brilliant idea stoney, now those who leave the site because they cant play continuously wont leave!!!
And we might even have Woodpusher back..............
#8 - 31 Jul 2011

Posted By:
Stoney X

Martin, I'll get those two features re-instated asap. Not sure how they were missed in the re-write!

Edited to say these two links are back on the player details page.

Regards

[Edited : 31 Jul 2011]
#9 - 26 Aug 2011

Posted By:
Stoney X

The development of the vacation functionality is progressing well. There have been a few changes to the original guidelines.

* You will able to set the vacation flag on your player details page. -> I've decided to make this a seperate page. Clicking the "go on vacation" button starts your vacation immediately and the vacation timer continues to run until you either end your vacation by clicking the "end vacation" button, or the system times out your vacation after the 3 week per vacation or 6 weeks total vacation limit.

* While the vacation flag is set the timers (game and move) on all your games will stop. -> As is.

* While the vacation flag is set you will be unable to apply any actions to your games, for example, moving, deleting or resigning. -> If you access any page related to games while you are on vacation you will be re-directed to the vacation page.

* Other players will not be able to claim timeouts against you while the flag is set. The same applies to automated timeouts. -> As is.

* During each calendar year, starting on the anniversary of joining the site,  you will be allowed 3 vacations, totalling 6 weeks. -> I've changed this to be check on the 365 days preceeding the date you go on vacation. If you have started 4 vacations in the preceeding 365 days you will not be allowed to start another one. The total amount of vacation will still be limited to 6 weeks.

* Each vacation may only last a maximum of 3 weeks. (This is still under debate as some feel 4 weeks is better.) -> Maximum will be 3 weeks per vacation. There will also be a minimum of 2 days. If you cancel your vacation within 2 days your game and move times will be set as if you hadn't been on vacation.

* Vacation days will not carry over from one year to the next. -> As is, although the system will work out if you have enough allowance left to make it into the next year, and will then extend your vacation up to 3 weeks using days from next year's allowance. Hopefully that makes sense!

In addition to the above there has also been considerably debate over the vacation icon! Deck chair or palm tree.....

Regards

[Edited : 26 Aug 2011]
#10 - 28 Oct 2011

Posted By:
Stoney X

If all goes well I will implement the vacation functionality this weekend. Just some final testing to be completed first.

Details of how vacations work will be in the "hints" on the new vacation page, and I'll add this into the FAQ shortly afterwards.

Regards
#11 - 30 Oct 2011

Posted By:
Stoney X

I've delayed the implementation to later this week.

Regards
#12 - 3 Nov 2011

Posted By:
Stoney X

Vacation functionality is implemented.

Please let me know if you see anything that doesn't seem to be working correctly. Despite weeks of testing there is always a chance that a bug has slipped through.

Regards
#13 - 18 Nov 2011

Posted By:
Stoney X

Over the past couple of days two bugs have been discovered in the vacation logic.

1) game time was being incorrectly calculated after the first move after a vacation.
2) Players could claim timeouts on games in vacation.

Both bugs have been resolved.

Regards
Page: 1