Register

Thread - Learning

Page: 1
Jump to:
#1 - 22 Feb 2009

Posted By:
jvila

Learning

Hi all! Just to drop something for those who would like to learn about chess. I found the other day "Chess Mentor", a program which teaches you in a funny and useful way. Many of you would probably know it already. There is a modern version to be paid, but the one I had installed is a bit older but quite good. It is Chess Mentor 2.0. It teaches basic principles for openings, endings, tricks and so on. Beginners to advanced.
#2 - 5 Mar 2009

Posted By:
Windmill

Do you have a link?
#3 - 5 Mar 2009

Posted By:
jvila

chess mentor 2

This is the full line:

http://rs89.rapidshare.com/files/98843974/Chess_Mentor_
2_Deluxe__uploaded_by_Josesote_.rar

Copy and paste, then click on "free user", wait for some seconds and click on download icon. It may work.
good luck
#4 - 6 Mar 2009

Posted By:
Windmill

Thanks Jvila. It works good. Had a little trouble unzipping the RAR file but found a program to do it.
#5 - 26 Mar 2009

Posted By:
Windmill

I would pay money to use a similar programe that deals with learning specific openings and the various paths however poor or good they are. It is the worst part of my game. lol. non-existant.
#5 - 26 Mar 2009

Posted By:
Windmill

I would pay money to use a similar programme that deals with learning specific openings and the various paths however poor or good they are. It is the worst part of my game. lol. non-existant.

[Edited : 26 Mar 2009]
#6 - 29 Mar 2009

Posted By:
drip

If only!

If only my end game wasn't even worse than my opening game.   If only I didn't tick the move confirmation before I noticed how stupid the move was.   If only I could concentrate, I might not be such a bad player.  If only!
#7 - 31 Mar 2009

Posted By:
Windmill

Haha.. I know what you mean. I had problems with clicking the button as I noticed how silly the move was.. when I first started playing. I wont say it never happens anymore but not as much. Im a little more patient and dont rush my moves as much.
#8 - 5 Apr 2009

Posted By:
Windmill

Drip.. You make a good point. I think most games at our type of level are won through opponet's mistakes rather then an act of brillance. Clean that part of your game and your rating should improve a lot.
#8 - 5 Apr 2009

Posted By:
Windmill

Drip.. You make a good point. I think most games at our type of level are won through opponent's mistakes rather then an act of brillance. Clean that part of your game and your rating should improve a lot.

[Edited : 5 Apr 2009]
#9 - 5 Apr 2009

Posted By:
drip

Thanks windmill.   I appreciate the advice, and I am trying to be more patient and to make sure I don't drink before making a move.   Now once I master that, all I need is to find opponents that make mistakes.   THAT was a good point of yours too.  On looking back the only games I have won is where the opponent has made an error, and not through any brilliance of mine.
#10 - 24 Apr 2009

Posted By:
drip

Why do they do it?

I wonder why people accept challenges for games over a short period of time and then fail to keep to the times quoted?
Don't you get tired of sending reminders?
#11 - 26 Apr 2009

Posted By:
Chunga

Reminders

Time outs are part of the game. Things change for the individual player. What seemed attractive at the onset may no longer be attractive once the game is under way. So we need to just take it in the stride of the game. It may drive some to distraction when games are not going quickly enough, but the nature of this web game(notice the cobweb) is that we can take whatever time we like for our moves. if we use up our time we lose. Simple.
Reminders aren't of much use. If the opponent is interested in playing, he/she will play. Let's not talk about passive aggression. I stopped bothering about reminders, and totally ignore any that come my way. Essentially it is a matter of being pateint and playing within our guidelines.
Page: 1