Register

Thread - Bad behaviour from WIM

Page: 1
Jump to:
#1 - 7 Aug 2009

Posted By:
bali2484

Bad behaviour from WIM

I watched an amusing blitz game recently between WIM Pauline van Nies and a much lower rated player.  After about 30 moves, the game looked like a draw.  Suddenly she turned nasty and accused her opponent of cheating.  She mentioned her title and tried to intimidate him into resigning.  Well her opponent stuck with it and managed a draw by perpetual.

I found it quite inspiring to see David get one over Goliath and to see her opponent remain calm despite the intimidation (the game was later checked by the site experts and found to be clean).

Just thought I'd share that with you.  Anyone with similar chess stories?
#3 - 29 Aug 2009

Posted By:
cpace

what site was this being played on bali? Man I have come across some very nasty IMs and GMs in blitz on a different site. Some of them will intimidate others and become very cocky due to the fact that they have very high ratings and seem to think they are the best.

#4 - 11 Sep 2009

Posted By:
okmrbill

GM play on another site

I also play Chess.com until my employer blocked  it              (I digress lol), but the GM's and other titled players there are sometimes selective seemly who they play, but some will play anybody and or everybody.  From my perspective they don't get too angry if they lose, but trying to cheat a GM isn't too brite....and they play with live conncurrent-chat.  I saw other sites where the GM asked why a particular move was made ....the opponent didn't answer and the GM concluded the person was cheating.  They also started analysis of games....and the computer will reflect a level for both players...make all the computer-moves and your account will be booted....they can go back and check multi-games if someone complains about a player.  I like to check my games at times to improve play but I don't like the way my computer plays....It has too much focus on the win and overlooks the value of a trade.....maybe my engine is weak...but it's boring play.   Yahoo chess and other sites breeds chess cheats.... why have a ladder level play...that motivates cheaters.....moreover blitz play is crazy play....it's a time push-match that robs the from the beauty of play...fun at times---=-but not really reflective of someones ability.   It's the carnival of chess...fun for some but better left in the parks and sideshows....
#5 - 13 Sep 2009

Posted By:
woodpusher

Live Concurrent Chat in Blitz?!

I've seen plenty of blitz at clubs and parks, where players trash talk as if it were basketball or football.  How do you do that on line, even if you're a rapid typist, just too much time elapses during a brief one liner.

And were that not so, why would I during a game share with my opponent the reason for my move?

Page: 1