Login / Register

Player Name:

Password:

Forgot your Password?

Register

Thread - Calling all computer experts...HELP!!!

Page: 1
Jump to:
#1 - 9 Aug 2010

Posted By:
Pawn prophecy

Calling all computer experts...HELP!!!

I have decided to open a thread in this forum asking for assistance from those of you who are technically savy with computers and computer equipment.I have recently purchased an eMachines N350 Netbook which,along with the router that I bought with it I have found impossible to get up and running.I am using a Belkin N Wireless Modem Router in combination with that Netbook.My Netbook is using the Windows XP operating system.

Firstly I am unable to get past the "Select Your System System Settings" menu;more specifically the screen with the categories 1)I live closest to this region,2)I type mostly in this language,and 3)I use this type of keyboard.After I set the appropriate details in those categories and click on "Enter" my Netbook just returns me to the same screen on each and every one of the hundreds of occassions that I have gone through that process.

As far as my telephone line router is concerned well I cannot make heads or tails of why that pile of junk isn't allowing my Netbook to connect to the Internet or why it won't allow me to even configure it's settings to link tp to my Netbook.I have the appropriate cable connecting my Netbook to the wired computer connection
in my router,as I was told I had to to configure the router.Also I do have a wireless broadband dongle
with prepaid data inserted in the USB port of my Netbook and it does flash blue after a short while.

Please note that I have no technical knowledge of computers at all,and also I don't know how to open Internet Explorer,as I was told I would have to-in fact I don't even know what Internet Explorer is.I have no understanding of computer jargon or computer language,and apart from the on/off button I don't know what any of the buttons on my Netbook are for.

Therefore I am seeking the help with the above problems from those of you reading this who are technically adept with computers.Finally please do not give me details of contact telephone numbers,contact Email addresses,or website addresses,because I have tried them all,they are all useless-in fact none of the email addresses I was directed to for people who could help me even existed.
#1 - 9 Aug 2010

Posted By:
Pawn prophecy

I have decided to open a thread in this forum asking for assistance from those of you who are technically savy with computers and computer equipment.I have recently purchased an eMachines N350 Netbook which,along with the router that I bought with it I have found impossible to get up and running.I am using a Belkin N Wireless Modem Router in combination with that Netbook.My Netbook is using the Windows XP operating system.

Firstly I am unable to get past the "Select Your System System Settings" menu;more specifically the screen with the categories 1)I live closest to this region,2)I type mostly in this language,and 3)I use this type of keyboard.After I set the appropriate details in those categories and click on "Enter" my Netbook just returns me to the same screen on each and every one of the hundreds of occassions that I have gone through that process.

As far as my telephone line router is concerned well I cannot make heads or tails of why that pile of junk isn't allowing my Netbook to connect to the Internet or why it won't allow me to even configure it's settings to link up to my Netbook.I have the appropriate cable connecting my Netbook to the wired computer connection
in my router,as I was told I had to to configure the router.Also I do have a wireless broadband dongle
with prepaid data inserted in the USB port of my Netbook and it does flash blue after a short while.

Please note that I have no technical knowledge of computers at all,and also I don't know how to open Internet Explorer,as I was told I would have to-in fact I don't even know what Internet Explorer is.I have no understanding of computer jargon or computer language,and apart from the on/off button I don't know what any of the buttons on my Netbook are for.

Therefore I am seeking the help with the above problems from those of you reading this who are technically adept with computers.Finally please do not give me details of contact telephone numbers,contact Email addresses,or website addresses,because I have tried them all,they are all useless-in fact none of the email addresses I was directed to for people who could help me even existed.

I have posted this thread on this site out of sheer desperation,because I can't find anyone anywhere who can help me.At the moment I am stuck with a £200 Netbook which is gathering dust,and which for all intents and purposes is an expensive pile of rubble that I might as well toss on a rubbish skip,and a wireless router that is doing everything it can to make life impossible for me.It would be quicker for me to turn water to wine or cure death than it would be for me to get my computer equipment  working properly.

[Edited : 9 Aug 2010]
#1 - 9 Aug 2010

Posted By:
Pawn prophecy

Firstly I am unable to get past the "Select Your System Settings" menu;more specifically the screen with the categories 1)I live closest to this region,2)I type mostly in this language,and 3)I use this type of keyboard.After I set the appropriate details in those categories and click on "Enter" my Netbook just returns me to the same screen on each and every one of the hundreds of occassions that I have gone through that process.

As far as my telephone line router is concerned well I cannot make heads or tails of why that pile of junk isn't allowing my Netbook to connect to the Internet or why it won't allow me to even configure it's settings to link up to my Netbook.I have the appropriate cable connecting my Netbook to the wired computer connection

I have posted this thread on this site out of sheer desperation,because I can't find anyone anywhere who can help me.At the moment I am stuck with a £200 Netbook which is gathering dust,and which for all intents and purposes is an expensive pile of rubble that I might as well toss on a rubbish skip,and a wireless router that is doing everything it can to make life impossible for me.It would be quicker for me to turn water to wine or cure death than it would be for me to get my computer equipment  working properly.

[Edited : 9 Aug 2010]
#2 - 12 Aug 2010

Posted By:
jayjay

Hi Pawn prophecy,

I am by no means an expert but as nobody else has replied I'll give it a go.

From what you have posted I think it might help you to have a broad idea of how your PC connects to the internet.

Any PC needs some kind of software (programming) to "interact" with the web. This software is called a browser and this is all that Internet Explorer is. You may be familiar with Internet Explorer as an icon that you double click in order to connect to the internet. It looks like this:

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=7
12&bih=575&q=internet+explorer+icon&gbv=2&aq=3&aqi=g10&
aql=&oq=internet+e&gs_rfai=

If I remember correctly I think that XP comes with Internet Explorer so it should already be on your PC. Once your browser is installed and working, when you double click your internet icon it will then attempt to connect you to the web through either your cable or wireless network.

It may help to think of it like a "chain".

(1)You/Your PC<--->(2)Your Browser<--->(3)Your Network Connection<--->(4)The Web.

If any of the "links" in this chain are, for whatever reason, not working you will not be able to connect to the net.  So the thing to do now is troubleshoot along the chain to try and sort out the problem.

To start with, although your post is quite detailed you haven't indicated what you are trying to do (i.e. what program are you trying to run when you get the "Select Your System Settings" menu? What do you click on to actually bring up this menu? For example does it come up automatically when you turn on your Netbook? Or does it appear when you attempt to access the internet?)

jayjay.
#3 - 30 Aug 2010

Posted By:
Pawn prophecy

To jayjay,

Actually to start with I did indicate what I was trying to do.If you read paragraph 2 again it states there what I was trying to do-read the end of that paragragph carefully.It is very easy to infer from what I wrote in that paragraph exactly what I was trying to do;I was trying to set up that netbook for use.

Secondly I don't have a PC I have a netbook.PC is used to describe desktop computers,with TV screen style monitors.

Thirdly I have lost interest in that accursed netbook.I have better things to do with my time than spend all my waking hours trying to get useless computer equipment that you need a degree to understand working.I will never waste my money buying another stupid,damn computer ever again.All the best inventions are the simplest,like plastic,pens and paper-and the great thing is that none of those inventions crash,or just refuse to work at all,unlike ghastly computers.
#4 - 31 Aug 2010

Posted By:
jayjay

......mmmm OK, well I'll take a leap of faith for now and assume this isn't a really bad wind-up.

Actually to start with...... NO.YOU.DIDN'T. Read your entire post carefully; you randomly mention your PC (and it is a PC), your router, your networks (wired and wireless) and Internet Explorer. Nobody on earth could infer anything from your post other than that you were hacked off with your PC and that, by your own admission, you didn't know what you were doing. I was trying to help you by narrowing down what your problem was...sorry for that lol. (This is a wind up isn't it?)

Secondly you do have a PC
Quote from Wikipedia:
"A personal computer (PC) is any general-purpose computer  whose size, capabilities, and original sales price make it useful for individuals, and which is intended to be operated directly by an end user with no intervening computer operator. This is in contrast to the batch processing or time-sharing models which allowed large expensive mainframe  systems to be used by many people, usually at the same time, or large data processing systems which required a full-time staff to operate efficiently.
A personal computer may be a desktop computer, a laptop....."
If you read through that then a Netbook can be defined as:
"Netbooks (sometimes also called mini notebooks or ultraportables) are a branch of subnotebooks, a rapidly evolving[1] category of small, lightweight, and inexpensive laptop computers....

Thirdly....ummm...lost interest too.

(Oh and you're welcome).
Page: 1