Register

Thread - Alice Fischer chess

Page: 1
Jump to:
#1 - 16 Aug 2008

Posted By:
Ferdyrojo

Alice Fischer chess

What people would like to play Alice Fischer chess?
I think chess-related people who want to evolutionize into other realms of Chess.
Alice Fischer chess is, basically, Fischer random chess (Chess960) with the option to play in the Alice variant (Alice I and Alice II).
So we have 3x960=2880 initial different positions to start a game, whether on one board or two boards. If Alice variant is excluded, there is just 960 initial different positions to set up the major pieces; that is, chess960.
In this realm, standard chess is assigned the SP (Starting Position) code=518.0 (0 stands for game played on one board).

Who wants to lift off standard chess?
#2 - 20 Aug 2008

Posted By:
woodpusher

Just for fun..?

Try the usual starting position but advance the pieces either one or two ranks forward, that is leaving the back rank, or the back two ranks empty.

Tactics abound, and tempos may be more important than any material considerations.

#3 - 21 Aug 2008

Posted By:
Ferdyrojo

Alice Fischer chess

woodpusher, I undertand the variant you mention, but I think it is rather impractical two leave the two back ranks empty. What name do you call that variant? I have tried to look for it at SchemingMind Wiki but it's inexistent.

Alice Fischer chess is a serious chess variant, but its server's program need to be implemented.
We are working at www.SchemingMind.com/ to get it done.
#3 - 21 Aug 2008

Posted By:
Ferdyrojo

Alice Fischer chess

woodpusher, I undertand the variant you mention, but I think it is rather impractical two leave the two back ranks empty. What name do you call that variant? I have tried to look for it at *************** but it's inexistent.

Alice Fischer chess is a serious chess variant, but its server's program need to be implemented.
We are working at ************ to get it done.

[Mod : 22 Aug 2008]
#4 - 26 Aug 2008

Posted By:
woodpusher

Variants

As I said it was just for fun.  I dreamed it up one day on the way to our local club.

A couple of years ago, we tried an ancient variant in which the Q moved only one square at a time like the King, and pawns only moved on square even on the first move.  I forget the other rules, but it threw everyone off their game.

As I understand it Fischer proposed the random chess because he felt all the possibilities were being explored, and while that may eventually happen, it seems that post Fischer there are still plenty of innovations and new lines discovered.

Has anyone measured performance in Fischer random when compared to ratings in standard chess?  Is there some equalization due to elimination of memorized opening lines, and previously evaluated positions?

#5 - 27 Aug 2008

Posted By:
Ferdyrojo

Extended Chess

Our planet Earth is not the center of the Universe, but it is a planet of It. Likewise, standard chess is not the center of the universe of possible chess games, but it is one of its variants.

The ancient variant you mentioned is, undoubtedly, an ancestor of Chess, named Shatranj. The Queen was inexistent, so Ferz played her role. Pawns only moved one square from the start and could only be promoted to Ferz. Castles were inexistent, and stalemate meant a loss of the game.

GM Peter Leko was named "the first ever Kingpin of Fischer random chess". See the match Leko vs Adams held in Mainz (Germany), 2001. Leko won the match in tie-breaks.
N.B.  SchemingMind.com  offers the Alice Fischer variant and a lot more.
#5 - 27 Aug 2008

Posted By:
Ferdyrojo

Extended Chess

Our planet Earth is not the center of the Universe, but it is a planet of It. Likewise, standard chess is not the center of the universe of possible chess games, but it is one of its variants.

The ancient variant you mentioned is, undoubtedly, an ancestor of Chess, named Shatranj. The Queen was inexistent, so Ferz played her role. Pawns only moved one square from the start and could only be promoted to Ferz. Castles were inexistent, and stalemate meant a loss of the game.

GM Peter Leko was named "the first ever Kingpin of Fischer random chess". See the match Leko vs Adams held in Mainz (Germany), 2001. Leko won the match in tie-breaks.

[Mod : 29 Aug 2008]
#6 - 29 Aug 2008

Posted By:
woodpusher

Extended Chess

Leko and Adams are both very brave.  I wonder how a large tournament with many super GMs would play out in a Fischer random format.  We will only see it when someone puts up enough prize money to draw such a field.

It is somewhat strange that Fischer advocated increasing the variants, but actually played a pretty limited repertoire during his pre Spaskky career.  

Page: 1