Register

Thread - Interesting chess facts no.1

Page: 1
Jump to:
#1 - 2 Jun 2010

Posted By:
Fright knight

Interesting chess facts no.1

This is how to find out the colour of any given square on a chessboard without even looking at a chessboard.

Take the coordinates of whichever square you want to know the colour of and interchange the letter with it's position in the alphabet.So square b5 becomes 2,5
and square h3 becomes 8,3...etc.If both numbers are even,or if both numbers are odd the square is black;if not the square is white.

This knowledge can be very useful if you can visualise a chessboard and plan your chess strategy in your mind's eye,as I do.

The next instalment in this series will be coming in due course...
#1 - 2 Jun 2010

Posted By:
Fright knight

Episode 1:
Remembering the colour of every square

This is how to find out the colour of any given square on a chessboard without even looking at a chessboard.

Take the coordinates of whichever square you want to know the colour of and interchange the letter with it's position in the alphabet.So square b5 becomes 2,5
and square h3 becomes 8,3...etc.If both numbers are even,or if both numbers are odd the square is black;if not the square is white.

This knowledge can be very useful if you can visualise a chessboard and plan your chess strategy in your mind's eye,as I do.

[Edited : 3 Jun 2010]
#1 - 2 Jun 2010

Posted By:
Fright knight

Episode 1:
Knowing the colour of every square

[Edited : 3 Jun 2010]
#2 - 14 Jun 2010

Posted By:
lancelot

Just wonderful to note the “mathematical” side of it. Congratulations for this wonderful post.

Come to think of it. . . it is simple- - - abcd 1234, but not everyone sees it.

By the way . . . you write
“Take the coordinates of whichever square you want to know the colour of and interchange the letter with it's position in the alphabet.So square b5 becomes 2,5”

Should not it be
“Take the coordinates of whichever square you want to know the colour of and interchange the letter with it's position in the NUMBER ORDERING. So square b5 becomes 2,5”

I am expecting your next post.
Page: 1