Register

Thread - Perhaps it's my age?

Page: 1 | 2
Jump to:
#1 - 10 Feb 2009

Posted By:
drip

Perhaps it's my age?

But here's another idle thought; of all the forums I have been on (and that is not many) this appears to be the least used.   Is it because the members are so tied up in chess that they can't be sociable?   Or maybe (since it is international) they can't write in English?
#1 - 10 Feb 2009

Posted By:
drip

Perhaps it's my age?

But here's another idle thought; of all the forums I have been on (and that is not many) this appears to be the least used.   Is it because the members are so tied up in chess that they can't be sociable?   Or maybe (since it is international) they can't write in English?   Come to think of it, perhaps that's the answer because most don't even fill in their profiles.

[Edited : 10 Feb 2009]
#2 - 10 Feb 2009

Posted By:
jvila

Perhaps it's a quiet site...

Drip, I'm not used in participating in forums too much, but this is my idea of what it happens here: This site is not as crowded as many others. There are a lot of people signed on, but as you can see, there are not much connected at the same time at any moment. It would maybe be the same percentage of participation here than in other sites.
However, I think that the quietness itself makes people participate less in the forum.
Any other idea?
#3 - 10 Feb 2009

Posted By:
Kirby Castle

Perhaps there's no answer....

Hi Drip, or is it because you have been snowed in for the last few days (English Winter Weather). For other members, where Drip lives has been affected by snow.... and our local councils dont have the resources to cope because it doesnt happen that often. Maybe you should name and shame those who have not filled in their profiles ? Or start suggesting names for the vaiorus competitions for Stoney X Keep the threads going.
#3 - 10 Feb 2009

Posted By:
Kirby Castle

Perhaps there's no answer....

Hi Drip, or is it because you have been snowed in for the last few days (English Winter Weather). For other members, where Drip lives has been affected by snow.... and our local councils dont have the resources to cope because it doesnt happen that often. Maybe you should name and shame those who have not filled in their profiles ? Or start suggesting names for the various competitions for Stoney X. Keep the threads going.

[Edited : 11 Feb 2009]
#4 - 12 Feb 2009

Posted By:
woodpusher

I think a quiet site......

Based on the total number of active players at any given moment, some aren't conversational in english, while others just aren't conversational.

I've been on strictly forum sites where more people lurked (logged on and read) than posted to the forum.

You may have been on a crowded bus or train, with a dozen or more people in hearing distance, but only a rare few will join a public conversation.
#5 - 14 Feb 2009

Posted By:
drip

embarassment?

You may have a point there woodpusher.   The old English reserve.   But then how come it doesn't happen on other forum sites?   When an Englishman's embarassment  can't be seen he will rabbit on endlessly on any old subject.   On here , at least we have the love of chess in common.   For those of us who are not English it gives them a chance to air their linguistic abilities.
#6 - 14 Feb 2009

Posted By:
drip

chatting

well at least I seem to have got a few people chatting.   jvila, I suspect English is not your first language but you are doing well.   Why not tell us a little about yourself in your profile?
#7 - 15 Feb 2009

Posted By:
jvila

chatting

You are right, drip, English is not my first language, it comes after Catalan (mother tongue) and Spanish.
I have a quite good command of English but I'm still far from being as proficient as I would like to be. Just keep improving.
My profile has been updated now.
#8 - 16 Feb 2009

Posted By:
Chunga

Profiles

I hope that jvilla's example of writing up a profile has encouraged some of our other friends out of their shyness; anything will do. My favourite is bakajojo's. Although hotdog has been known to be colourful.
#8 - 16 Feb 2009

Posted By:
Chunga

Profiles

I hope that jvila's example of writing up a profile has encouraged some of our other friends out of their shyness; anything will do. My favourite is bakajojo's. Although hotdog has been known to be colourful.

[Edited : 16 Feb 2009]
#9 - 17 Feb 2009

Posted By:
drip

Flowing beer?

Where have you been Chunga?   Too much of the amber nectar perhaps.   Hot dog's profile is blank, and bakajojo is not in the list of players, so I couldn't check out his profile.
But yours is cute if uninformative.  
#10 - 18 Feb 2009

Posted By:
Chunga

actualy......

Thanks drip. I don't know anything about a list of players. I was merely saying that it would be good if everyone wrote at least something. Bakajojo has a succint profile. It tells me he reads Shakespeare, enjoys chess, combines the both and manages an air of mystery at the same time. HD's profile has changed many times over the last couple of years and seems to have been one of the more colourful characters. I had no idea it was currently blank. He seems to have given us a lot more than most re. personal info. Even in a blank it tells us he's sulking about something.
As for my own profile: I let you know where I live to within kilometers. My musical taste from my name. My liking of puns and my excitement about Aust. being the first nation to win the Americas Cup from the US in 1983.
Incidentally, let me extend to you a belated welcome to joining COTW. I am 57yo and draw encouragement from you that I will still playing in about another 30yrs time.
#10 - 18 Feb 2009

Posted By:
Chunga

actualy......

Thanks drip. I was merely saying that it would be good if everyone wrote at least something. Bakajojo is one of our players and has a succint profile. It tells me he reads Shakespeare, enjoys chess, combines the both and manages an air of mystery at the same time. HD's profile has changed many times over the last couple of years and seems to have been one of the more colourful characters. I had no idea it was currently blank. He seems to have given us a lot more than most re. personal info. Even in a blank it tells us he's sulking about something.
As for my own profile: I let you know where I live to within kilometers. My musical taste from my name. My liking of puns and my excitement about Aust. being the first nation to win the Americas Cup from the US in 1983.
Incidentally, let me extend to you a belated welcome to joining COTW. I am 57yo and draw encouragement from you that I will still playing in about another 30yrs time.

[Edited : 18 Feb 2009]
#10 - 18 Feb 2009

Posted By:
Chunga

actualy......

Thanks drip. I was merely saying that it would be good if everyone wrote at least something. Bakajojo is one of our players and has a succint profile. It tells me he reads Shakespeare, enjoys chess, combines the both and manages an air of mystery at the same time. HD's profile has changed many times over the last couple of years and seems to have been one of the more colourful characters. I had no idea it was currently blank. He seems to have given us a lot more than most re. personal info. Even in a blank it tells us he's unhappy about something.

[Edited : 20 Feb 2009]
Page: 1 | 2